A hundred years of industry & art
The Gallery at Hood Street is part of a collective artistic community housed within the Hood Street Arts Center…but this 20,000 square foot facility has seen a lot of change over the years.
Originally built in the 1930’s by Mr. Hood, the building was initially constructed to run a hosiery mill. What started off as a smaller footprint facility grew over the years through various owners’ additions to the building.
Anchored by the Henry Players theater troupe, the DiBlasi School of Ballet, and several visual artists, the Hood Street Arts Center - brainchild of late sculptor Andy Davis - engages the community with workshops, staged performances, and a gallery.
Davis founded the Arts Center in 2015 with a vision to turn the building into a space that would be known as a haven for fellow artists, dreamers and doers as a collective community.
After his untimely passing, the Gallery portion of the Arts Center underwent major renovations to transform the space not only into a fully functioning art studio and gallery, but also an intimate event space where people from all over the city can come to celebrate momentous milestone occasions and celebrations.